The refrigerant R-22, also known as chlorodifluoromethane, was banned earlier this year and is currently illegal to make or bring to the United States. It contains HCFCs, or greenhouse gases, that cause damage to the ozone layer when released into the atmosphere. In order to slow the environmental damage that has already occurred, governments have worked together to limit the number of ozone-depleting substances that can be used.
For years, R-22 refrigerant has been in the process of being phased out. Systems that run on it have likely reached their lifespan and are no longer effective. So, if an older R-22 system springs a leak, a tough decision has to be made. Facility managers can either retrofit the system for a replacement refrigerant, or replace the system entirely. Upgrading and retrofitting old R-22 infrastructure to work with a replacement refrigerant can save equipment, energy, money and the environment.
- R-407C is a zeotropic blend of three hydrofluorocarbons.
- Difluoromethane serves to provide the heat capacity, pentafluoroethane decreases flammability, tetrafluoroethane reduces pressure
- Drop-in is not recommended in cases of low refrigerant levels, a full clean-out must be performed first
- R-421A by Choice is a newer option and considered the refrigerant of the future.
- No unit oil change required, unlike other R-22 alternatives
- With no measurable pressure difference to R-22, retrofitting is simple and familiar
- A blend of only two refrigerants, R-421A exhibits consistent box temperatures
- R-458A TdX 20 by Bluon is a blend of five commercially used refrigerants. It delivers virtually identical capacity performance, significant energy savings, and extended equipment life.
- Average 15% energy savings vs R-22 (up to 25%)
- Virtually identical capacity to R-22 (+/- 3%)
- No oil change required; works with POE and MO
- Operates at lower pressures and temperatures
- ASHRAE & EPA approved, warranty protected
- MO99 (R-438R) by Freon offers the closest performance match to R-22.
- Compatible with all traditional and new lubricants, including mineral oil (MO), polyolester (POE) oil, and alkylbenzene (AB) oil
- Drop-in replacement for R-22; doesn't require an expansion valve or line set changes
- Does not require an oil change
- Easy maintenance once the retrofit is complete
- RS-44 (R-424A) is a non-flammable mixture of HFC 134a, HFC 125, iso-pentane, butane and isobutene.
- Compatible with mineral traditional lubricants, alkyl benzene and also with synthetic POE
- Drop-in replacement for R-22, providing an easy and long-term solution
- Risk of humidity in the refrigerating equipment is avoided
- Lower discharge temperature eliminates oil decomposition problems
expertly trained team of technicians can evaluate the refrigerant in your commercial system, recommend the right replacement option and execute the required retrofit or replacement. Call 877.576.9696 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to schedule an appointment with one of RK Service’s expert technicians today.