Why You Should Become an RK Apprentice
The United States is currently experiencing a shortage of skilled trade workers, which is great news for apprentices. Companies are paying more than ever for skilled trades people, especially those who have graduated from an apprenticeship program and have earned a license in their chosen trade.
Because of the high demand for trade workers, those with certified skills can earn great pay and benefits and enjoy a successful career at RK. After four years, RK apprentices can test for their journey person’s license and earn a promotion and even higher wages.
RK’s Apprenticeship program was established 25 years ago by our founder, Ron Kinning, as a way for employees to get a leg-up in a promising career. Our program fosters our business growth as well as provides our employees with a sustainable wage and a career path to better themselves and their future.
Our accredited RK Apprenticeship Program is taught by expert in-house instructors and has helped over 1,400 students build a career in the skilled trades.
- 100% of the costs are covered by RK for apprentices with good grades and attendance.
- The starting entry-level wage is between $16 -18 an hour, and you are eligible for two raises each year.
- A free toolkit valued at up to $250 to help you get your career started.
- Earn 45 credit hours towards an Associate’s Degree of Applied Science – that means RK is covering the cost for you to earn 70% of a community college degree with no student debt.
Join a team committed to your growth with RK
- 8,000 hours of PAID on-the-job training.
- 576 hours of classroom, laboratory and hands-on skills training.
- Free for graduates that complete the program each year.
- College credits and career pathways help apprentices earn an Associate’s Degree of Applied Science or a Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management.
- Accredited training in plumbing, pipefitting, sheetmetal, ironwork, electrical, HVAC, and steel fabrication.
- At RK, you’re eligible for two wage increases each year, along with progressive levels of responsibility.
How to Apply
RK reviews applications, interviews and hires apprentices annually each summer. Apprentices typically begin the month after they are hired. Classes begin in August and end in May of the following year.
- WHO IS ELIGIBLE? Anyone who can meet our pre-hiring criteria including a drug screen, background check and the ability to pass a physical test.
- WHAT QUALIFICATIONS ARE NEEDED TO APPLY? You must be 18 years old or older and have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- DO YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE PROGRAM? If you complete the program with good grades and attendance, RK will cover 100% of the costs.
- HOW MUCH ARE RK APPRENTICES PAID THROUGHOUT THE PROGRAM? Apprentices are full-time employees with benefits. Wages start at $16 an hour, with the opportunity to receive two merit-based increases a year.
- DO RK APPRENTICES RECEIVE BENEFITS? Apprentices are eligible for benefits including medical, dental and vision, 401(k) with matching opportunity, wellness incentives, paid time off, holidays, weekly pay, and more.
- WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I COMPLETE MY APPRENTICESHIP SCHOOLING? In your final year as an apprentice, you will test for your journey person’s license and complete the required on-the-job hours. Once you pass, you will be licensed with the opportunity to increase your earning potential.
- WHAT IS REQUIRED TO MAINTAIN YOUR STATUS AS AN APPRENTICE? You must be actively enrolled in school and maintain a grade of a C or higher for each semester, with an attendance rate of 80% or more. You will also complete an annual performance review.